The village of Deckerville was named after Charles Decker who started his lumber business here in 1870. Mr. Decker built a sawmill and a grist-mill which helped to populate the area. Deckerville was incorporated as a village in 1893.
There were a great number of forest fires in the Thumb area in both 1871 and 1881. Favorable side effects of the fires was that they cleared the land of trees and brush and made it possible to quickly become a highly productive farming area.
Over the years, Deckerville has had many industries such as lumbering, fur-trading, woolen mills, flax mills, brick making, a sauerkraut factory, and at one time cheese making was a thriving industry. At the present time there are several factories, related primarily to the auto industry.
The Deckerville Community Schools holds approximately 940 students, and the Deckerville Community Hospital serves the immediate area with 15 beds. Deckerville also has its own newspaper, the Deckerville Recorder, in operation since 1892.
The population of Deckerville has remained stable at about 1,000 for a number of years. The village has been greatly modernized with paved streets, it's own sewage disposal system, a highly adequate water system, three gas stations, and a couple of fast food restaurants.