History page 3
Brush roadster, and a little later the 1912 Maxwell runabout, some
early Fords with little single seats in the back called "mother-law"
seats. At that time we had a real "gas house" to hold drums of
gasoline and oil. It was kept filled by Mr. Tucker who brought
gasoline from Harbor Beach in a tank wagon brought by mules. One
warm summer evening my father set a lighted lantern on the ground
nearby and opened the door, it went sky high in pillar of smoke. The
Wahla brothers then invested in a real underground tank with a hand
cranked gasoline pump. Thus the era of "old" horse is no longer to
be seen and the local farm boys have to learn about horses from the
T. V. programs.
first real "farm lookers", arrived in 1853. They were Gottlieb Schubel, a young
Prussian brewer, his brother, Charles and Matt Schwab who settled near White
Rock. The Kelly's and the Cleary's came the same year, settling in future Cato
and west Delaware township respectively. Gottlieb Schubel had been saving his
money in Sandusky, Ohio where he was working, with the intention of buying a
good Michigan farm.
In 1852 old Joe Schubel and sons Fred and Charles had moved
to Lexington, where they employed in Hubbard’s sawmill. Gottlieb embarked on
Hubbard’s Lumber schooner which plied between Lexington and Sandusky in those
days, and in a few days found himself at the edge of the Michigan frontier. He
found no roads running north (or west) from Lexington, so three young land
seekers followed the old Indian trail north along the beach and across the many
heavily timbered "points". They
passed through Little Bark Shanty (pt. Sanilac) and doubtless picked up supplies
at Uri Raymond’s new store there. The only sign of life was at Hurd’s sawmill on
cherry Creek at the present County park. No doubt Ward’s layout impressed them.
The Schubel's bought still available government land 2 1/2 miles inland from the
shore---an area later known as Linwood. Charles Schubel soon sold his farm in
sec. 12 and moved to New River (near old Grindstone city) where he took a job as
foreman in Hubbard’s Huron County sawmill. Mrs. Schubel drove the family cow all
the way to the new homestead. Gottieb settled in Sec. 11, stayed on and
His son, Albert’s son, born in 1866, became the "threshing King" of
Delaware township, Albert’s son Ted the Case implement dealer, still works the
original farmstead. The review of progressive East Delaware farmers carried in
the "Jeffersonian" in 1878 stated that "Gottieb Schubel came here about 25 years
ago. Now has 117 acres of land of which about 90 are under cultivation. There is
scarcely a stump left in his fields. There are good fences and buildings (said
to cost $3,000.) and a full bearing orchard. Gottieb is well fixed and is
regarded as one of the most enterprising of our German farmers.
Settlers who took up land just west of Forestville eventually formed a small
center 2 1/2 present Schock road. It became known as Linwood, reminiscent of the
linden or brass groves of Saxony. It was at times called "Gerntt’s Corner"
because the " immigrants land agent", Bruno Gernt, had taken up a Ward forty at
the corner east of the Schubel land. He organized and built a cooperative cheese
factory there in 188, ‘importing’ the boilers from New York state. "The
commodious structure." Stood near the present Arthur Goetze residence. The
"Coop’ was made up of Gernt, Schubel,, Tom Ward., Hartman Rauh, Uncle Nye and a
few others. All brought extra cows for the venture which proved profitable for
about 7 years before closing down.
Linwood’s Original log school cost $68. An
Evangelical church (locally called "German Free Methodist") was built near the
present cemetery in 1886. No doubt, the settlement hoped to become a city in due
time. The Saxon, Anton Popp, settled in Linwood in 1874, and later built his
"gabled mansion" on the south bank of Mill Creek. It was a local showplace, and
like a German "schloss" faced the stream rather than the highway.
settlers, Henry Geck, the Forestville blacksmith in 1873, "Uncle" Richard Nye
lived just south of the Linwood corner.
THE SAWDUST KING & OLD CATO
Buel came up from Lexington in 1862 to take over the big shut down Ward sawmill.
In a few weeks he had two its saws running and their loud wail announced to all
with hearing that Forestville had come back to life. Buel also operated the Ward
dock and some sort of store for a while. It was during his career that
Forestville lumber output rose to almost a million board feet per week. Buel’s
early activity rated a write-up in the "Jeffersonian" of 1864. It gives us a
picture of Forestville’s old lumbering days so I reproduce most of it here: "Buel’s
mill is ready for the season with a million feet of logs on hand, and will start
sawing Monday. Duncan McKenzie contracted to deliver a half million feet to mill
and can double that if sleighing stays on hand." By far most of the logs for the
mill are back along for the stream (Mill Creek) and will be run down in the
spring. Mr. Buel Has cleared and improved the stream and made it one of the best
in the country for log-- running.